|Friday, June 6, 10:30-12:00
The theme of this learning center is to present and discuss the proper measurement of hemoglobin using different models of the HemoCue point-of-care testing device. Most micronutrient surveys use HemoCue devices to measure hemoglobin in the field and questions/concerns regarding proper technique and potential model differences often go unanswered.
In this session, we plan to:
1. Demonstrate measurement of hemoglobin using both HemoCue 201+ and 301 model photometers.
2. Explain the difference between microcuvettes specific to each HemoCue model.
3. Demonstrate proper collection of blood using a microcuvette.
4. Explain what factors could lead to incorrect hemoglobin results.
5. Demonstrate use of HemoCue controls and what happens when these are switched between models.
6. Explain proper storage of the HemoCue photometers and microcuvettes when not in use.
Chair: Ming (Mindy) Zhang, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA